FKAB Ballast-Free Vessels
Ballast-free vessels are cost saving, and the concept can be implemented on larger vessels than the two mentioned above.
- Some of the benefits are:
- Reduced building costs
- Reduced fuel consumption
- In Ballast-free Condition (formerly named Ballast Condition) the fuel savings are about 30%
- No need for ballast water and related equipment onboard, such as ballast piping, ballast water management system etc.
- This reduces weight, maintenance costs and simplifies ship operations
- They are fully seaworthy in all conditions due to the hull design
Additional energy saving solutions that we discover during our continuous and ongoing studies to create Greener Ship Designs include for example:
- Hull lines development and optimization
- Real time propeller load/pitch optimization
- Waste heat recovery
- Batteries for peak shaving and/or redundancy
The RoI is surprisingly low on all mentioned energy saving solutions.